Nashville Area Alumni Association
A group of graduating brothers from Pi Delta Chapter at Vanderbilt University began to assemble at Blackstone Brewing Company on the 8th of each month in early 2002. The first regular gathering was on the Pi Delta’s Chapter Day, April 8, 2002. Jeff Sheehan, initially invited Charlie Anderson, Adam Bernick, Drake Dantzlerand, Chris Genovese, Colin Jones, Chris Walters to meet at Blackstone on Pi Delta's Chapter Day just as they were finishing their senior year.
The tradition continued and was broadened when they were joined regularly by faculty Michael Hime, Gary Powell Nash, and Philip Autry. Sinfonia Alumni from all Nashville chapters would drop in from time to time. Reservations were made under the name Mills.
The tradition continued and on February 8, 2011, the assembled brothers decided to host an interest meeting for an organized Alumni Association. Nathaniel Hudson, the Province Alumni Coordinator of Province 15 at the time, issued the invitation. On March 8, 2011, several generations of Sinfonians gathered around the table for the first official interest meeting for the Nashville Alumni Association.
The Nashville Area Alumni Association was chartered on May 27th, 2011. Close to 20 brothers gathered at the following On the 8’s to celebrate this milestone. Within a year of the association’s founding, the NAAA organized the following activities to fulfill it’s purpose “…to foster Sinfonian Alumni activities and involvement in Middle Tennessee.”
- Step Sing in front of the Schermerhorn Symphony center on the Founder’s Day 2011.
- Hosting the Province 15 Founders Day Celebration, a family-friendly picnic at Fisk University
- Gathering alumni presence at Phall Ball 2011
- Spring Fling 2012 had larger alumni participation, with several of the presentations given by local alumni.
- Effectively organizing alumni to attend chapter events and Rituals
- Clarksville Roadtrip, attended by six Clarksville alumni and six NAAA brothers
- Memphis Roadtrip to the Theta Rho Ritual
- Some association members were involved with the alumni guest series at Omicron Rho at Belmont University, where alumni would speak at chapter meetings on how Sinfonia has influenced their lives in their professional work
- Continuing the tradition of On the 8’s
Want to find out more? On the next 8th of the month, you can find us at The Flying Saucer at 8pm. Also, check out the Contact Us tab for more ways to stay in touch.